Mar 31, 2017

People with high and well-grounded Self-esteem by Prof. Elliot Aronson

Hi Friend,

Mr. Jason Zweig, Investing columnist for the Wall Street Journal, calls the following 'A much better way to think and live' .

People with high and well-grounded (well balanced and sensible) self-esteem, from social psychologist Prof. Elliot Aronson,

=========================
  • Are not invested in winning arguments for winning’s sake. 
  • Do not need to believe they are always right. 
  • Do not need to explain away failures and mistakes and 
  • Do not need to engage in the almost frantic (conducted in a hurried, excited, and disorganised way) self-justification in which high  and fragile (easily broken or damaged) self-esteem people constantly engage.
  • Instead, when they fail or make mistakes, people with high and well-grounded self-esteem can look at their failures and mistakes and learn from them. 
  • For example, a person with high, well-grounded self-esteem can look at his or her errors and say, in effect, “ I screwed up. I did a stupid ( or hurtful or immoral) thing this time, this doesn’t make me a stupid (or hurtful or immoral) person. 
  • Let me look at it. How did it come about ? How can I make it better ? What can I learn from this situation, so that I might decrease the possibility that I will screw up in a similar way again?”
========================

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment